Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thank You's

Last night Grady and I sat down to write the final thank you notes from our wedding. At first I was very frustrated because nothing I said was getting Grady motivated. He just wanted to lay in the big comfy chair with his blanket and watch tv. After about 30 minutes of me trying to be nice, I sort of snapped. I told him that I had a million other things that I could be doing while we were at home rather than waiting on him to write thank yous and be his spell check. Almost immediately after I said that, I felt terrible. How could I be so unloving to my husband!
He got up right after that, gathered all his thank you notes, sat next to me and began writing. I told him that I was sorry that I spoke to him like that. His response was, " I didn't look at this from your perspective. I'm sorry." . . . . Oh my goodness! I couldn't believe it! If I just spoke up and gave him my side of the story before I allowed myself to get angry things could be so much easier! I cant tell you how many times people have told me that communication is so important. I really need to take the info to heart and work on it. What's even more interesting is that we spoke about communication and talking to our spouses about our feelings in our Fireproof class. Grady can't read my mind...as I cant read his. How easily I forget that and expect him to read my emotions. Anyways, I learned a great lesson from last night. God is working on me daily to change me as a wife and as his daughter. Thank goodness he has not given up on me when I fail.

No comments: